On July 15, 1926, Dr. A.B. Robertson disposed of his entire stock of hardware, furniture and undertaker supplies to Rufus T. Buie and Tom Sadler. The new company was known as Sadler-Buie Hardware Company located at 102 Main in Rison, Arkansas.
In December 1932, a fire completely destroyed the property. Mr. Buie moved the funeral home to the former Martin Brothers Gas Company located on 2nd Street. In February, 1936, Rufus T. Buie headed the organization of the Arkansas State Burial Association, operated in connection with Buie Funeral Home.
On August 29, 1937, Mr. Buie married Ruth Marks in Rison. Together, they operated the business. From this marriage two sons were born, Rufus T. Buie Jr. and Billy George Buie.
In 1939, the community leaders of Sheridan approached Mr. Buie concerning the opening of a funeral home in Sheridan. A temporary location of the funeral home was established near the Cozy Nook Cafe in Sheridan until a permanent location could be found. Soon after, Mr. Buie purchased a two story house located at 101 W. Pine in Sheridan where the funeral home was permanently established. In 1973, property south of Sheridan was purchased from the Gates family and a new funeral home was constructed at 1301 S. Rock.
In 1945, Mr. Buie built a new facility at 302 Main Street where the family resided. In 1952, a third facility was established in Star City. This facility was sold to the Griffin Family in 1973.
Rufus T. was very active in the Rison community where he served on the Cleveland County Memorial Hospital board, Rison City Council, Rison Booster Club, Cleveland County Farm Bureau, and Greenwood Cemetery Association. From 1937 until his death on April 10, 1965 he was the county coroner.
After Mr. Buie's death, the Buie's continued the operation of the business and served the community. On April 25, 1996 Mrs. Buie passed away.